On one of the LinkedIn Groups I received yesterday a comment from a Hotels Sales Manager in the States, who was “spearheading” their hotel’s first steps in Social Media. I appreciated the comments and answered to my best endeavours, but was wondering about the fact if a Sales Manager should lead the process of Social Media?
This brings me to my question for you: “Does your hotel have a dedicated Social Media Manager?”
Although I see the principle of Sales executing elements of the Marketing Strategy, I would have thought that Social Media ought to be led by Marketing or even the GM. I would even go so far that this is not a corporate, head quarter function, because social media must in my opinion have a high local relevance.
Maybe therefore the question is not so relevant which department is leading the Social Media process, but more to whom they report – in line with the principle that Revenue Managers ought to report directly to the GM and not to the DOSM to avoid conflict of –short term versus long term – interest?
Clearly, at times (independent) hotels might not have so much of a choice and integrate the function in Marketing, Communications, Client Relations or PR….- if they have such departments…..
Already, seeing the trap of the various interdisciplinary responsibilities, but if you could afford to hire a dedicated Social Media Manager, what would then their job description look like?
I have researched a little on the subject and come underneath with a suggestion. Having said this, it is difficult to separate the waters on PPC, SEO, Social Media, Affiliate Marketing and Email campaigns, as they have a high intercorrelation…. Let me know!
Social Media Job Description
The most important part of this job is that the candidate must,
- Have demonstrated an extensive social media experience, by having actively participated in a wide variety of social media activities such as blogging, community development and management, social bookmarking, commenting, etc.
- Have good understanding of e-commerce, online digital marketing (corporate websites, ad banners, search, etc.) and good knowledge of principles of SEO
- Be able to think strategically, but willing and able to roll up his sleeves to help implement the programs.
- Help increase and accelerate a greater understanding of social medias value and benefits across the hotel company
- Focus on content management, usability, demand generation, integration and management of social media tools, the management of website optimisation using both natural and paid methods and online sales.
The position will be responsible for managing the day-to-day activities of multiple social campaigns including writing copy, managing assets across multiple social networks, extracting actionable insights from social monitoring data and (potential) client/guest interaction.
- Create a comprehensive social media strategy to define programs that use social media marketing techniques to increase visibility, membership and traffic across all hotel brands with the objective of developing brand awareness, generating inbound traffic and encouraging service improvement.
- Leverage hotel PMS/CRM System for Social Relationship Management use
- Manage social media campaigns and day-to-day activities; duties include online advocacy, writing, promotions, etc.
- Manage presence in social networking sites including Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blog and other similar community sites, posting on relevant blogs, and seeding content into social applications as needed.
- Identify opportunities and develop clear business and measurement objectives for initiatives and monitoring for impact of social media programs; analyse, review, and report on effectiveness of campaigns in an effort to maximise results.
- Become an advocate of the Company in social media spaces, engaging in dialogues and answering questions where appropriate.
- External benchmarking to identify best in class social media tools
- Experiment with new and alternative ways to leverage social media activities
- Implement Social Media ads: optimise their campaigns using their Bid Management tool
- Monitor trends in social media tools, trends and applications and appropriately apply that knowledge to increasing the use of social media at the hotel
- Strategise with and educate the management team and others across the company on incorporating relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture and into all of the company’s products and services
- Measure the impact of social media on the overall marketing efforts
- Leverage the SEO effect of Social media and increase the rankings of most important keywords, while identifying ways to improve the website experience for visitors
- Identify potential partners work with (Affilaite Marketing), negotiate deals and manage relationships
- Keeps apprised of all relevant client, industry and market developments
Experience – the ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- Social media tools and techniques
- Marketing (traditional, new media, guerilla and ‘word of mouth’)
- Product marketing
- Press Relations
- Business development
- Financial and quantitative analysis
- Project management
Attributes – the key attributes for this position include:
- Be able to think outside the box, have excellent attention to detail and a real passion for marketing
- An entrepreneurial flair, a highly motivated and enthusiastic approach with the ability to inspire and direct others around you.
- Willingness to experiment
- Ability to deal with uncertainty
- Ability to contribute individually and participate in cross-functional teams
- Problem solver with determination
- Creativity, with a sense of humour
- Strong organisational skills
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Very Analytical: Ability to synthesize large amounts of data into actionable information
- Ability to create great working relationships with all levels within the company and across
- Experience with creating business reports, business cases or case studies, Superior Excel user
- Google Analytics experience preferred
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines in a dynamic/changing environment Self-motivated, organized, detail-oriented, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team